Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Rollercoaster Ride

So way back in April, I started on a 3 month challenge to lose 25 pounds.  At stake was $401.00 -- if I lost the weight in the allotted time, I got the money back.  But more importantly, I would be on my way to better health.  Today was the final all-or-nothing moment.  Had I managed to lose the correct amount?  I headed to the gym bright & early, with the weigh in scheduled for after my workout.  I only had .8lbs to go.  8/10ths of a pound -- that's around 13 ounces.  I could do that!  Imagine my surprise when I stepped on the scale to learn that I had gained not lost!  I was given until 5:00 to drop 1.8lbs.
  After coming home & having some breakfast, I sorted out a plan  -- I would go walk for an hour 7 then maybe hit up the sauna at the other gym.  Halfway through my walk, my inner self turned on me.  At almost exactly the 30 minute mark, my psyche kept whispering, "Why the hell am I working so hard if I'm just going to fail anyway?"  I couldn't shake the thought.  But I kept going -- pushing myself so hard I kick-started a headache.  Just what I needed.
  I never did make it to the sauna, but at 4:00, I was back at the gym to weigh in.  Had I done enough?  I stepped on the scale & closed my eyes; I needed to be at 205.6.  When all was said & done, I was at 206.6.  1 freaking pound!  But then kindness was turned my way.  Or maybe it was recognition for all the hard work I'd been doing -- officially, the word is that I met my goal.  So next week, I should have a check for $401.00, which is good because I need new running shoes.
  I slowly backed away from the edge that I was on (it was not a good time in my head), & quickly set the next goal -- 20 more pounds by Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment